How a Firewood Rack Can Save You Lots of Money in the Long Run

Friday 15 October 2010


I have a Firewood rack, My neighbor hasn't; he threw away $90 worth of firewood last year! At the end of last winter I spotted my neighbor throwing damp moldy firewood onto his compost heap in the corner of his plot. The concerning thing was he did it as if it was normal. I found out later that he had been doing this for the last 5 years. He has a similar house to mine but instead of using a firewood rack he stores his wood on the ground.

I was shocked at how much rotten and moldy wood my neighbor had, especially as we had both bought the same amount of wood the previous winter from the same dealer. Where my neighbor was throwing nearly a quarter of a cord away I had all but burnt mine. With plans to chop the rest into Kindling for the summer of following winter.

I calculated that at the price we paid he was throwing away upwards of $90 worth of firewood. Considering what he had said it sounds like over the last 5 years he had destroyed nearly $500 worth of wood. All because he didn't want to spend money on a good rack.

The main issue I could see was that he didn't have a good firewood rack or cover for his log pile. Similar to many of my neighbors they relied on the old methods of letting the firewood sit on slabs or concrete. Hoping that a simple tarp would protect them from the ingress of water.

Unfortunately for best firewood management It needs to be stored 3-4 inches off the ground at this height gravity helps prevent water from getting into your firewood. Especially in areas with significant snow melt. The height prevents any snow melt or heavy rain from soaking the wood.

A decent firewood rack might set you back $100-200 dollars but if you are getting damp wood it should save you that within 2-3 seasons. If you get a good steel firewood rack it will last you a lifetime and more.

After discussing this with my neighbor, he was shocked at the money he was losing. I popped over for a beer the other day to see 2 brand new "Landmann" firewood racks. With their solid design and excellent cover design he won't be throwing any wood away next year.








My name is Dan Jensen,
I have been using and cutting Firewood for the past 20 years. After persuasion from neighbor who i helped with his firewood management, I have created a few sites to help other people with the firewood questions. For more information check out my site at Firewood rack.


0 comments:

Post a Comment